- How do I install Lab recorder?
Download the Lab Recorder from here.
Unpack the downloaded file at the desired location.
Run the executable file LabRecorder.exe
- How do I obtain ERPs with SMARTING?
The ERP experiments can be performed on both Smarting Streamer on PC and Smarting Android app (see the download section above). Smarting software (both on PC and Adnroid) receives UDP triggers and are compatible with the labstreamlayer (LSL) platform.
The following stimuli presentation software are compatible with SMARTING:
Any other software that supports the LSL platform can also be used.
- How do I couple SMARTING device with other sensors?
SMARTING can be coupled with the devices that support the LSL protocol. More on LSL can be found here. The list of readily available software and devices, for streaming the data over the LSL protocol can be found here.
Please note that LSL is an open source SDK, and therefore it is possible to create an LSL-based protocol for any sensor that comes with an open SDK.
- How do I perform BCI experiments with SMARTING?
The BCI experiments can be performed in the OpenVibe software, which can be downloaded from here.
Additionally, the SMARTING EEG data can be imported as a LSL stream can be imported in BCIlab which is an open source Matlab® toolbox for BCI research.
- I am having problems with my credentials/I lost my credentials for accessing website download section
In case you have lost your credentials, please contact our support team at firstname.lastname@example.org
- I am having problems with set the drift level in OpenVibe
The best way to set the allow the drift level is to set it to maximum. This is simply because the Bluetooth communication can become unstable, meaning it is late, but with no loss of data. Therefore, the recommended setting is to set the “Drift Tolerance (ms)” to 100, and “Jitter Estimation Count for Drift” to 1000.
- I am having problems with battery level indicator – it seems incorrect
If you experience such problems, please contact us directly at email@example.com
- I am having problems with lost data packages – I am loosing data frequently
– Check if the distance between the SMARTING device and the recording device is not too large
– Check if there are not too many (more than 3) bluetooth devices streaming at the same time in the same room
– Check the battery level (should be higher than 0%)
– Check if your Bluesoleil dongle is properly attached to your computer
– Uninstall the streaming application, and install the new one from the website
– Try restarting your computer (it may be that your Bluesoleil dongle is disconnected from your system)
– In case there are too many people surrounding the bluetooth communication, it may attenuate the signal strength.
– In case the WiFi connection of the recording computer (or phone) is overloaded, it may affect the bluetooth communication.
– If nothing of the above seems to be the problem, please contact our support team at firstname.lastname@example.org
- I am having problems with BlueSoleil Bluetooth license
The BlueSoleil software is shipped on the mBrainTrain USB dongle within the SMARTING package. The license is contained in the BlueSoleil bluetooth dongle that is also sent with the SMARTING package. However, the software can also be downloaded from the BlueSoleil website and the price of the license is $27.99
- I am having problems with connecting SMARTING with my PC/Android
In case of PC Streamer
– Go to the Bluesoleil window, unpair your device and pair it again.
– After pairing, right click on your device and click “Connect” within the Bluesoleil program. The icon should become green.
– If it is green, right click on your device, disconnect it, and connect it from the SMARTING streamer. Contact the support team at email@example.com in case you cannot connect it from the SMARTING streamer
– In case the device cannot be connected from the Bluesoleil window, try reattaching the Bluesoleil dongle, or restarting the computer.
In case of Android app
– Go to bluetooth settings, and unpair your device and pair it again. After this, the device should connect to your Android app. Try restarting the phone if the issue is not solved yet
- What platforms are supported by SMARTING?
SMARTING is supported by Windows OS (Starting with Windows 7) and Android platform.
- What is content of SMARTING package and can it be changed?
The regular SMARTING package contains the wireless amplifier, 24ch electrode EasyCap recording cap, starter kit including the electrolyte gel, mobile phone and the accompanying PC and Android software. The package can be modified during the ordering process. For any additional questions, please fill in the form at the bottom of this page.
- What are the supported data formats?
The supported data formats are .XDF and .BDF. Also .GDF and .EDF file formats are supported when using SMARTING via OpenVibe platform.
- Can I rely only on mobile phone to perform recordings and what are the limitations?
SMARTING EEG recordings can be performed by solely using an Android based smartphone, on which the ERP experiments can be performed as well. However, if the synchronization with the other sensors is needed, it is possible to stream the EEG data from the smartphone to the recording PC, where the synchronization with the other sensors is possible.
- Is it possible to perform ERP studies with SMARTING?
Yes, it is possible to perform the ERP studies on both the PC and Android based platform.
- What is the jitter and delay of the SMARTING device?
SMARTING precision is below its sampling rate (2ms) – tested with Neurobs® Presentation software. However, depending on the platform and the stimulation software the delay and jitter values can vary. The jitter values may go up to 6ms, while the delay values for Android OS. An important notice is that it is possible to measure the delay values for each cellphone, and this delay value is constant for all recordings for that device.
- Can I make precise and synchronous recordings with SMARTING?
Yes, precise and synchronous recordings are possible in all supported data formats (see above). Important note is that SMARTING supports the Lab Streaming Layer (LSL), which enables the synchronous recordings with smarting and various other sensors (which are supported by the LSL protocol), with the millisecond precision.
- What level of knowledge do I need to have in order to use SMARTING?
SMARTING is very easy to use, and it does not require the high level of technical knowledge.
- What is the noise level and signal quality of SMARTING device?
The Input Referred Noise of SMARTING device is 1 µV.
- Can I test (and how) if device is properly connected without actually mounting the EEG cap?
Yes, the connection can be tested on both the Android and PC application, by selecting the test signal from the home menu and start streaming the signal. If the SMARTING is properly connected, the test signal will show on the display after selecting the signal show option.
- Can I monitor the impedance level continuously?
In order to monitor the impedance values continuously, one can select the measure impedance option on the main window of SMARTING streamer on the PC, or by enabling impedances on the Android application (from settings window). The impedance values are color coded in the main window, while in the signal show window; the color coded values of the impedances are placed next to the electrode names on the far left side of the signal show window.
- Where can I find the newest software updates and user manual?
The newest software and user manual updates can be found here.
- Can I program my own applications on phone?
We provide the SDK for the users that want to create a customized application.
- What is the unit and the scale of signals?
– The unit for EEG signals is microvolts [μV], range ±500mV
– The unit for Gyroscope data is degrees/second [dps], range ±2000dps
– The unit for Accelerometer data is [m/s2] = ±4g
– The unit for Impedance measures is [kΩ], range 0-100kΩ
- Can I see the impedance values?
Yes, you can always check the impedance values. In SMARTING streamer, the impedances are shown after checking the “Measure Impedance” checkbox. In Android app, the impedances are automatically shown, when the app is started. The impedances are color coded, and the limits can be changed within the software. Check the user manual for more information.